When you turn on your PC, most antivirus solutions, such as Norton antivirus, are configured by default to perform. If you need to fix something on your computer and Norton antivirus is not letting you do so, then you can stop this antivirus program by following the instructions given below.
Startup of Windows 7/XP/Vista
- Go to the Start menu and tap on Run or hold the windows key and the R key simultaneously.
- Then you need to type “msconfig” without quotes and press the enter button.
- Enter the administrator password if asked.
- Tap on the Startup tab in the new window.
- Now you’ll have to unselect each name that is associated with Norton Anti-Virus.
Note: You can always undo these things by selecting them again.
- Tap on Ok option and restart your PC.
Rebooting from safe mode
How to reboot the computer in safe mode?
You can reboot the computer in safe mode to turn off the Norton Startup. Follow the steps given below:
- Firstly you need to reboot the operating system into safe mode. When you come in safe mode, the Norton antivirus is no longer able to load on your PC. Another advantage is that there will be no malicious software, keyloggers or any virus infections in your operating system.
- Open the Start menu and type Run command in the search bar.
- Then type “msconfig” in the dialog prompt and hit enter. This will open a msconfig window.
- Go to the boot tab in the window that prompted.
- And check the Safeboot box.
- Tap on the Apply option and close the window.
- On the system reboot option that comes out on the screen, tap on Yes option.
How to stop Norton antivirus startup via msconfig window?
- Tap on Run in dialog prompt by going to the start button.
- Then you will need to type msconfig in the prompt once again.
- Open the Start tab.
- Find the Norton antivirus program among those various programs.
- When you finally see it, unselect the box and tap on Apply option.
- After that, a window will come up asking you to reboot your computer. Although, you don’t have to tap on Yes option, as the system is not set entirely. Hence, you have to configure the Boot section before you reboot the system.
How to stop Norton with the help of Norton antivirus?
- Launch the Norton antivirus program.
- Go to the options menu.
- Select Norton antivirus from the list which will be displayed.
- Then open Miscellaneous and again you will get to see a new window.
- In the new window, unselect the box Scan system files and startup.
- Then tap on OK option.
How to bring your PC in normal mode?
Once you complete the disabling of Norton antivirus startup, next, you have to configure the boot option. And doing that you will need to follow the steps mentioned above and relaunch the msconfig window.
- Open the Boot tab.
- Unselect the Box next to Safeboot.
- Click Apply option and close the window.
- After closing it, you will be asked to reboot the system.
- Then click Yes.